Saturday, January 29, 2011

Week 16: Dance Like It’s the Last Night of Your Life


This past week of work has been consumed with the tragedy that occurred this past Saturday.  The House was only in session to hear testimonies about the thoughts about the shooting that happened in Arizona, many spoke about specific victims and many knew the congresswoman personally.  We also had the honor of attending a prayer ceremony on her behalf.  The Chaplin has an amazing gift of public speaking and gave many words of inspiration and hope.  This is really the last stretch of the page program, from the joyous swearing in of congressmen and changing of the house to become republican, to such a tragedy like this, I have been a baring witness to history being made on the House floor.  This weekend was filled with studying and it was my last weekend in Washington D.C.  On Friday I went with a couple of friends to walk around the National Mall in the crisp January air.  Later, a larger group went to Eastern Market then the rest of the day was all about preparing for the prom.  A couple of girls volunteered to do hair, makeup and nails in their room where they had appointments running all day long.  A friend of mine curled my hair and I did my nails and makeup to match my red colored dress.  To have all 58 of us together dressed so nicely and having so much fun on our last Saturday together had many people in tears by the end of the night.  I couldn’t bring myself to cry because I was just having so much fun with my new best friends and I don’t think that I could come to the realization that this adventure would actually come to an end.  I’m not sure if I’ll cry leaving, but every time I look up at the pictures on my wall I can’t help but smile at all the great times I’ve had here in DC.  Which brings me to Sunday, I spent the day with my best friend Amanda where we began our day at a French Café for breakfast and our afternoon exploring the Capitol, walking the halls that we’ve passed through so many times and then of course cleaning up from the dance the night before.  Then, we spent the afternoon in the Natural History Museum where we had fun going through exhibits, gift shops and seeing what we would look like as Neanderthals.  We spent the rest of the night at dinner with some of the nicest, funniest and most entertaining guys in the page program—Will from Virginia, Jerry from Chicago, Chris from Guam, and Derek from California.  We spent the entire night laughing and talking and at one point I even spit up my water because I couldn’t contain my laughter.  The next day was spent studying all day and I couldn’t have asked for a better way to spend my last weekend in DC.  I am so grateful to have met so many caring and fun people!  I am especially thankful for God bring me such a thoughtful person to me, my best friend Amanda, giving me someone to tackle this “Page Adventure” so that I was not alone. 



“I will not forget you!  See, I have engraved you on the palms of My hands.”  Isaiah 49:15-16