Saturday, January 29, 2011

Week 15: The Last Stretch


            This time last week I was just getting back to DC.  Thankfully, time here is going by at a good pace, the days are going by slower, but that may be due to the fact that we go to sleep so late and wake up so early.  If I could ask for one more thing in life to have more time—the time to appreciate all of the wonderful blessings I am given and time to reflect upon every small event and person and truly understand the purpose and meaning that little everyday interactions means.  This week we were asked to write 120 words and provide 3 pictures for our yearbook pages and it has been the most challenging assignment that I’ve had since I’ve been here.  To summarize a life changing experience such as this one in such few words and select such few moments through photographs is nearly impossible to do.  This program has changed my life, teaching me things I didn’t know about myself, and I’m sad for it to end in just two short weeks.
            On Tuesday we were able to witness the congressmen take oath into office and see the changing of powers through the passing of the gavel from former Speaker Nancy Pelosi to the new majority leader and speaker John Boehner.  I really like Nancy Pelosi’s speech where it focused on the unity between congressmen whether they’re democrat or republican for this 112th congress.  Also something very exciting that happened this week was that I was able to collect statements for congressmen speaking about the Health Care Bill.  On both sides they argued that it would be very costly and they were debating more specifically about repealing the Health Care Act already in place.  This weekend we spent both Friday and Saturday nights ice skating, and after a few tricks came some falls and bruises, but there’s nothing like ice skating when you can see your breath and also with such great people.  It’s challenging to convey the interactions and conversations I have with others, but it’s just incredible how we are never at a loss of words; it is astounding to walk by the capitol to the dorm and to be able to call this home. 


“If you remain in Me and My words reamain in your, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.”  John 15:7