Saturday, January 29, 2011

Week 10: God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” Hebrews 13:5



This has been a very exciting week.  It is the last week with not having congress in session so the teachers are packing in tests, essays and projects left and right.  Fortunately, there have been fun things to do as well.  On Thursday for Veterans Day we spent the morning at Arlington National Cemetery where we got to see Vice President Joe Biden speak.  It was really exciting to be able to see such an influential figure before me.  One day when I was on a run with my friend to the main part of the Capitol we saw the dad from the television show The Suite Life of Zack and Cody.  On Friday we went out to dinner for Italian in Alexandria.  It was a beautiful part in Virginia where the buildings are about 3 stories high and are made from bricks.  On Saturday we spent our morning at a special exhibit at the Holocaust Museum about propaganda.  It’s frightening how powerful media can be and how manipulation can influence an entire group of people.  I spent the rest of the day at the dorm working on my bill for Bill Model Congress and the evening at a café with wifi.  Today I finished my homework and did laundry.  This evening we had our Page Thanksgiving Dinner and it was a lot of fun because all of the worlds that we live in here in DC were combined: home, school and work.  The clerk and other people on the page board came as well as a congressman, school administrators, work supervisors, teachers, and the dorm staff.  Mr. Brown, the director of the dorm, refers to us as a family, and as a looked around at our family I thought about how hard it would be to get this same group of people together and how I need to appreciate each day that I have here.  But of course it won’t hurt to have a week off from room checks, kitchen and lounge duty, and having to sign out every time you want to go somewhere, I can’t wait to visit!