Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Position

The process of receiving the job of a page entailed several components but primarily consisted of a very presumed format.  There were several documents that I had to include such as a general application with my name and contact information on it, three letters of recommendation, a school report, personal statement and an essay.  One of the more challenging portions was getting the sponsorship of congress member, Bob Filner.  After going through those steps, I had to await the approval of the panel in Washington D.C. that ultimately admitted me into this program.  

What this program means to me is an experience like no other.  Not many students my age get the opportunity to have this type of "college lifestyle," so I feel very fortunate to have the chance to know what it can be like.  I will have the most independence that I've ever had in my life where I'm going to have to juggle five honors courses in addition to working for the House of Representatives and creating new friendships with my peers that are in the same position.  This role of being a page is only available to about 78 juniors in the entire country, so something that I also look forward to is interacting with these students that have lived a completely different type of life than I've lived.  Being a page also means that I will be very connected with what is occurring in our government, and it excites me that I am going to be a witness to history in the making.  It is difficult to fathom the idea that what is happening today will affect not only the people in existence today, but can potentially affect generations that we will not even be alive to see.  The decisions that are made can really have an immense impact on virtually everyone in the United States and it is truly an honor to observe so many influential events in the making.  

How I became interested in the program began with my tendencies to want to be a leader when put into group situations.  That naturally lead into me becoming involved in different groups such as ASB, Youth Action Council and Youth and Government which gave me exposure to student leadership embedded with government at a school, city and state level.  It really struck me how people perceive government, yet the coordinators of these programs intended to change the stereotypes of government being something that you really have no control over and that it is overall corrupt.  Actually, in contrast, as a young people, we were encouraged to speak our opinions and know that the concepts that involve the government are something that is meant to be celebrated and become excited about.  Needless to say, when I heard about applying for the page program I was certainly interested in it.  In a matter of days I will be leaving, I feel as though I am ready to embark upon this next challenge in my life and am hopeful to see what it provides.