Saturday, January 29, 2011

Week Three: Habits Instilled


            I wake up each morning and I wonder, where am I? My dreams are beginning to be a mixture of home and here so as I wake up in the morning, I have to remind myself of where I am.  I feel as though I am more comfortable of how my life is here and the idea of being able to be away from home, yet still be connected. 
            On Monday at work I was floor door, which meant that I had to open the door for the people that conducted that days session.  I t was the simplest task that I have had so far, I got to be on CSPAN and got to talk to the people that were partaking in the meeting before it began.  On Tuesday I didn’t actually do a regular job, instead we got to have a tour during work hours and it was interesting how I come to the capitol almost every day but there’s still so much to see within that building.  I can’t wait until my sister and godmother come to visit so I can show them all of my discoveries.  On Wednesday I had flags, which is a job that everyone looks forward to because as soon as you’re done with it, you get to go home from work early.  It was very tedious because I had to deliver 18 flags to congressmen all in the same building, but it was a lot to push around in the cart throughout seven floors, the elevators took longer than usual because there are only a limited number of freight elevators and it was particularly hot that day, around the upper 80’s. Although it was somewhat time consuming, I still got to go home early and have the time to do homework, exercise and catch up with a lot of people.  Wednesday was my favorite workday that I’ve had so far because I believe that that was the day there was just the right balance of missing home but still really enjoying my time here.  It really made my day when my class called me right around when I was finishing my homework and then after I was completely done, I was able to talk to my friends and family for a while and also text quite a lot.  It was also nice to be alone in my room to just get the things I needed to get done without any distractions.  One Thursday, I was just a runner, but before that I met with the principal, Mr. Savannah, to just listen to what he had to say about his outlook on life’s experiences.  The overall theme that I got from his talk was that to be in the moment as much as possible because it is at that point when you truly gain and benefit the most from the situation.  Friday the house was not in session so, so there really wasn’t a lot to do so we just sat quietly and talked for most of the time.  After work a group of about ten friends went to the National Mall and then Chinatown for dinner and it was nice to end the workweek with some nice bonding time with friends.  On Saturday, we spent the entire morning at a seminar where we had to create a children’s book based on a character where the setting was the book fair.  As an advisory of 8 people, we spent our morning creating a story by taking pictures with my cat stuffed animal.  Afterwards we went to the wax museum and then Chinatown to shop and watch a movie.  The rest of the night was spent rearranging furniture and then working on some homework.  I feel content with my school, work and home life, but still can’t wait to visit in two weeks!