Saturday, January 29, 2011

Week 8: Studying Time


            This week was very academically intensive; homework consumed all of my evenings.  We are getting into the Scarlet Letter and it’s really rich in vocabulary and story line is really interesting so it’s manageable to follow.  On Tuesday I went on a tour of the dome and it was a really great privilege to be let into that area.  We went through the inside of the dome and made three stops.  The first stop was where there was a balcony and that’s about half way up the dome.  The second stop was at the very top and right above us was artwork of angels in the sky and if you look closely one of the angels is George Washington.  It was so scary to look down from where we were so when I took a picture I reached out just my hand to take a picture so that I could see how far up we really were.  It’s hard to describe in words how magnificent the view was and how beautiful the painting was up close.  This area in known as the rotunda and it is my favorite part of the capitol so I was ecstatic to be able to see it so up close.  The last stop on the tour was the top of the capitol, which was outside.  Surprisingly, it wasn’t as scary as being inside.  It was chilly that day and a little foggy but it was still an amazing view and we all stood out there a while mesmerized by the sight.  The rest of the week wasn’t that interesting and I had quite a few tests.  On Friday we had clubs so for photography I uploaded all of the pictures for the update and picked the ones that I would upload to photobucket.  I called my mom and talked a while before I went out to dinner.  Dinner was a lot fun it was at this café with free Wifi so we had fun playing on the computer and taking pictures with my laptop.  Then, we went to Starbucks and got some hot chocolate.  The evening had an ideal atmosphere the air was crisp, the buildings were lit and you could smell the freshness of the trees and grass.  On Saturday I read six chapters of the Scarlet Letter in the morning and then spent the day in Georgetown window-shopping.  In the evening I talked on the phone with different people and I’ve gotten better at keeping in touch with a lot of people but it makes me miss home a lot more.  Today I spent the morning doing laundry and working on this update.  I went out to lunch, and then worked on a project for Energy and Public Policy and soon I’ll be getting ready for the Halloween party that we’ll be having tonight.